The Engelhardt Banjorchestra
This advertisement illustrates the
Engelhardt Banjorchestra, circa 1914. Note its distinctive
art-glass front panel. The instrument was manufactured by the
Engelhardt Piano Company of St. Johnsville, New York.
Roth & Engelhardt, established circa 1890, was the predecessor
of the Engelhardt Piano Company. Originally manufacturing
Push-up Piano Players, by 1900 the company was producing many
models of coin-in-the-slot pianos and orchestrions, marketed
under the Peerless name. The high-water mark for Peerless
(Engelhardt) machines was circa 1912-1914.